Thoughts from the front

I'm a soldier in Iraq and I call em as I see em.

May 28, 2006

Thats When Country Comes To Town

No! I didn’t abandoned this blog. I just have not sat down for sometime to write a blog. I also wanted to make sure that I was not compromising the security of my unit, my family and myself. I have found out what I can and cannot say and after looking at my unit website, I know where the lines have been drawn and what I can tell you.
I am near Balad, Iraq, which is north of Baghdad and south of Samarra. The Logistics Support Administration (LSA for short) I am at is quite big. It is an old Iraqi air base that the United States took control of in 2003 just after the fall of Baghdad.
The base that we are on is very nice. It has five huge chow halls that serve some wonderful food. For breakfast, they serve huge omelets. Every evening has its own theme. For example, Thursday is “Surf & Turf” night, my favorite night, when we are served steak and seafood! If you don’t care for the featured theme, like last night you can grab a burger, hot dog or grilled cheese sandwich from the short order line or help your self to the sandwich bar, pasta/potato bar, the fruit stand, the soup & salad bar. In addition, no chow hall would be complete without a desert bar. No if you don’t feel like chow hall food, which sometime you don’t there’s also a Burger King, Pizza Hut, Subway a Popeye’s Chicken and a Baskin Robbins on base. I know you will all sleep better knowing that I am well fed.
The LSA also has two rally nice gym where we can lift weights, play basketball, racquet There is also a softball league, which we arrived to late to join and two nights a week the almost all the guys in my platoon play floor hockey. By the gym is an outdoor pool with a couple of diving boards where we can go to cool off now that the temperature is firmly in the 100 degree range daily, and its only going to get hotter. Not far from the gym is the post theater that shows two or three films daily.
In addition, the MWR (Moral, Welfare, and Recreation) center is spectacular. One room has some pool tables, dartboards, ping-pong and foosball tables as well as a place to check out board games. They also hold a variety of weekly tournaments. There is also a computer lab and phone center, a couple of music rooms, where one can learn to

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home