Thoughts from the front

I'm a soldier in Iraq and I call em as I see em.

January 12, 2007

OPSEC

On AFN (Armed Force Network) we are not shown commercials like the ones back home. We are bombarded by a few major themes. One is don’t drink and drive, which in a war zone where there is no alcohol, this is totally unnecessary. Another encourages troops to stop using tobacco. If the writers of these “commercials” were in Iraq and went thought half of what some of these guys do, they would see how asinine these are. I don’t smoke, but I know that the stress of being over here gets to guys (and gals too) and they smoke. When they get home some will stop and others won’t. I admit I smoke from time to time but I hate the taste. Sometimes it does clams the nerves just a bit. I’m still trying to find a good cigar over here.
The main thing that is preached to us is operation security aka OPSEC. In World War 1 or 2 the phrase loose lips sink ship came about. They were told to watch what they say. Today we are told to watch what we say, email, post on blogs or myspace, yet the press breaks OPSEC daily and has no problem telling the world what’s going on. The New York Times leaks classified documents and “breaks” the story about wire tapping and tells everyone how we are going after the terrorists. So we have to find a new way to get information vital to the war or terrorism.
Today I was told that my brigade is getting extended until July. That doesn’t bother me, what does is the way I found out. It would have been nice for soldiers to be told BY THEIR CHAIN OF COMMAND instead of a newspaper blindsiding the troops and their families.
Our missions here are hard enough without them being compromised because a soldier is more worried about how his/her family is instead of focusing on the mission. When you are worried about your family your head is not in the game. However this is anything but a game because our lives are at stake.
This is going to fall on the deaf ears of the press but just because you know something doesn’t mean you should leak it! Stop putting our lives in more jeopardy then they already are. Stop printing things that are considered OPSEC, the hell with your freedom of the press. It’s my ass thats's on the line not yours!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home